Dental Bulletin September 2018 - Issue CM2
Included in this bulletin:
- Healthy weight promotion – consistent messages
- Restrictions of use and disposal of dental amalgam
- Carbon modelling within dentistry
- Tender writing training
- Dental pay award
- NHS Mail
- Shaping the future of patient safety investigations
- Hepatitis B vaccine supplies
- Making Every Contact Count – breastfeeding
- Alcohol IBA for dental teams e-learning training
- Starting Well Core
- Changes to NHS Choices
- Translation Services
- Welcome to our Clinical Advisors
- Milton Keynes 8-8 Procurement
About this Bulletin
To minimise the number of emails sent to practices across the Central Midlands, NHS England is using this regular bulletin as its main method of communication with Dental Practices.
If there are any queries, please use the following emails as your first point of contact:
The bulletin contains important information for Dental Practices, which might include requests for information and deadlines, as well as updates on issues relating to dental contracts.
Please share the Dental Bulletins with ALL the staff within your practice.
Public Health England (PHE) has published a suite of resources focused on promoting a healthier weight for children, young people and families. These resources are intended to support health and care professionals to be consistent and provide a core set of healthy weight messages throughout the life course. This suite of resources is part of PHE’s All Our Health ‘call to action’ for health and care professionals. Resources can be accessed HERE and include:
- Consistent messaging infographics: For use in practice. Each infographic highlights the key evidenced based healthy weight messages for specific age or target groups.
- Consistent messaging slide sets: The aim of these slides is to be used as a training tool to inform workforce development. It provides detailed evidence based healthy weight messages from preconception through to age 18 years. It includes links to a range of useful free resources including e-learning and guidance documents.
- Child obesity animation: This animation demonstrates for all health and care professionals their vital role in supporting children, young people and families to maintain a healthier weight to prevent and reduce childhood obesity, from pregnancy through to the transition to adulthood
- The national dental PHE team have worked with the child obesity team to ensure that oral health messages are embedded within infographics and training tools. This has been a lot of detailed work for PHE. Please share this information with all your staff.
Please find attached a letter on behalf of David Geddes re notice on the restrictions of use and disposal of dental amalgam. Also please find attached a copy of a letter Sara Hurley, Chief Dental Officer, England, sent to all dental registrants alerting them to the European Union Regulation 2017/852 regarding the use and disposal of mercury. Thank you.
Dental practices can adopt, encourage and facilitate active travel such as cycling and walking, to and from work, where possible. This will reduce the carbon footprint of their businesses and improve cardiovascular health as well as the general health and wellbeing of their teams. This document has now been published. It’s available at the following URL:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carbon-modelling-within-dentistry-towards-a-sustainable-future